Monday, January 4, 2010

General Note on Mixed Blood Identity

There are certainly many ways to examine the mixed blood experience.

I recall attending the Midwest Asian American Student Union (MAASU) some years back as part of my university’s delegation. The workshop that left the deepest impression on me was on bi/multi-racial issues. I specifically remember one woman who raised the issue of appearance. She is of partial Japanese ancestry, but when I met her was hardly distinguishable from a Caucasian woman. When she would introduce herself as someone of Japanese descent, people’s reactions varied differently based largely, she perceived, on her appearance. If she approached others as I saw her with brown hair and fair skin, she would get a negative and repudiating response. However, there was a time when she had dyed her hair a darker shade and gotten quite tan, and she found that when she introduced herself as someone of Japanese descent again, the response was much more positive and accepting.

I discussed with many people at the conference the issue of language. Language of course has the intrinsic ability of bringing people together through interaction. In addition, language can also let the individual feel a connection to a culture. For people of somewhat ambiguous identities, language can act as a strong bond to a cultural identity. My personal experience with Chinese culture suggests this to be the case. First of all, Chinese (from PRC at least) commonly expect overseas Chinese to speak Chinese and be familiar with Chinese culture. I have heard several times the anecdote that describes an elderly Chinese who is adamant that Chinese children adopted into American families can speak Chinese. These stories were corroborated when in chatting with Chinese friends (young, university educated), they expressed to me their surprise, for similar reasons, when they met Chinese children adopted by American families who linguistically, culturally, etc. resemble American children.

With that said, for many Chinese it is still a shock to meet a Caucasian American/non-Asian speaking Chinese. Countless American friends have started commotions in China by merely saying ni hao, or hello in Chinese. I have also overheard Chinese friends and acquaintances express shock at the fact that non-Chinese can speak Chinese. This reaction has been jokingly referred to as the ‘talking-dog’ effect, or same reaction one would give to an English-speaking dog: complete and utter disbelief.

The reaction commonly evoked by many mixed bloods is initial curiosity at someone who looks different, but then familiarity when the individual introduces themselves as overseas Chinese or as part Chinese.

For example, today I went to the Silk market near where I work to pick up some winter clothes. It is usually considered a place where tourists are cheated, but it’s close and I am usually able to get a decent price regardless. I went to one deserted stall, planning to take advantage of the situation in order to get a good deal. Initially, the shop owner was determined to speak English to me even when I spoke to him in Chinese. However, the more we spoke the more he realized that we could better communicate in Chinese. As we chatted, I told him that I am American, but my father is Chinese from Guangdong and he introduced himself as from Anhui province, where I had actually visited during the October holiday. When we discussed price, it was clear that his perception of me had changed. I do not have so much hubris as to suggest that he viewed me as one of his own, but my actions clearly closed the cultural gap between us, and this was revealed by both his words and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment